Preloader Close +91 6362863366 +91 8050298551
Malta : Work Permit
Malta work permit/visa
Malta is the smallest state in the European Union but it has a broader spectrum of opportunities along with similar benefits like other EU nations.

The island nation of Malta is a popular destination for expatriates as well as international businesses. If your company is planning to expand operations to Malta, you’ll probably want to relocate a talented group of existing employees and hire some new team members abroad. While working in Malta certainly comes with its advantages, you’ll need to ensure that any foreign employees you hire have the appropriate visas and permits to do so legally.

Types of Work Visas:

Malta offers a variety of visas for foreign nationals, including tourist visas, business visas, and visas for medical purposes. Foreign nationals who intend to travel to Malta to work have a few options when it comes to visas:

  • Short-Stay Visa, or C Visa: The short-stay visa is a type of Schengen visa, which means it allows foreign nationals to enter multiple countries within the Schengen area. This visa is available in three forms to accommodate single entries, double entries, and multiple entries. The C visa allows the holder to remain in Malta for up to three months regardless of how many entries are allowed.
  • National Long-Stay Visa, or D Visa: The D visa allows foreign nationals to stay in Malta for more than three months. This is the visa foreign employees will need to live and work in Malta for an extended period of time. Individuals who are traveling to Malta to study will need a D visa as well.

In addition to a long-stay visa, foreign employees will need a work permit. In Malta, this permit is known as an employment license.

Conditions for the issue of a Work Permit:

EU/EEA/Swiss residents (except Croatian Nationals) and their family who may be EU or non-EU nationals, are eligible to live and work in Malta without the need to acquire a permit. On the other hand, third-country nationals wishing to reside and work in Malta need to apply for a Single Application Permit (including Residence and Work) at the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. 

Before granting a work permit to a third country national, Jobsplus (previously known as the Employment and Training Corporation), which is responsible for the processing of employment licenses (previously referred to as a work permit), needs to ascertain a number of issues:

  1. Applicants for an employment license must first secure an offer of employment from an employer in Malta who must apply on their behalf;
  2. Applicants must possess a specialist skill or qualification of which there is a shortage in Malta;
  3. There must exist a significant demand in a particular field e.g. qualified nurses, tourist guides with particular language skills, construction workers…

One must note that work permits are issued for third-country nationals who work with a specific employer and perform a specific job. In fact, employers are obliged to apply for the work license on behalf of the foreign citizen who will start working in Malta, therefore the employee cannot use the employment license to take up a different job or work for a different employer.

Immigration Opportunities
Get Our Expert Advice

Any Questions? Call us

+91 6362863366

Any Questions? Email us